Sunday, January 9, 2011

Purple Cabbage: SHUGAH SHORTS (Boxer Briefs)

16 hours, a Subaru packed to capacity, a burrito in Mojave containing what seemed to be chicken soup = never have I been more thrilled to see Los Angeles. After a good night's rest, I'm ready to throw some veggies in a pot and see what color comes out. I start with cabbage and it turns out to be my cheapest and most effective dye material thus far! Two heads in a gallon or so of water boiled for about an hour produced a rich purple that exceeded my expectations. I was even able to save a jar of pigment for later dyeing which proved helpful when tinting an unsatisfactory yellow to more of a brownish green. My test fiber included a silk shirt, some cotton jersey (which was surprisingly difficult to find downtown, everything is a synthetic blend!) and some more canvas for CHUB Packs. Alum was used again as the mordant.


Before the boiling process.


The leaves turned a beautiful violet pink color after the dye was extracted.


Silk shirt drying in the sun.


 This is a prototype for some boxer briefs with fur detailing which will be featured in my spring line, I call them SHUGAH SHORTS

No comments:

Post a Comment