Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Onion Skins: Wool Fur Jacket featured in OFFWORLD


When I talk to anyone who has a vague knowledge of natural dyeing, onion skins are the first to come up. Maybe because they're easy to obtain for free and, if you've ever dyed easter eggs with a depression era grandparent, onion skins are essential. What I didn't know, was what color pigment they release. I checked multiple websites and even my Readers' Digest Crafts and Hobbies book (if your in need of a crafting bible, take note) and the answers all varied so I figured the best way to find out was to try them myself. It took quite a few trips to the onion section of Trader Joe's, rummaging through their meager selection, taking more skin then onion (in a completely inconspicuous manner of course) to come up with enough for a dyebath. I went for the red/purple skins but I hear the yellow ones work as well. Alum, again, was used as a mordant.


I made the mistake of sewing the jacket before dyeing, some warping of the wool resulted.

 

Exhibited at UCLA Broad Art Center New Wight Gallery
Jan. 13th - 21st



No comments:

Post a Comment